I Found a Pet


I FOUND A PETfound-button-photo

The animal you found may have a Microchip! Microchips cannot be seen or felt. Take the animal to a veterinary hospital or shelter to get it scanned. Too many times we find people holding onto animals that may have a microchip and an owner!  At AVHS, we have been able to reunite 62% of lost dogs with their owners.

If you find an animal in the city limits of Auburn, you may bring it to our shelter. Once the animal is in our shelter, we will hold it for at least the state-mandated time period of 72 hours while looking for the owner.  If the owner does not reclaim the animal, you may be able to adopt it yourself. However, we do not, have not, and will not promise, reserve or hold any animal for a specific person except the actual owner.

If you decide to hold onto the animal PLEASE make a real effort to locate the owner. You cannot legally give the animal to a “rescue” or other party until you’ve tried to locate the owner for at least 30 days. Place a “FOUND” ad in the local newspaper, place a listing in Craigslist, report to petrunaways.com and post signs in the neighborhood where you found the animal.



LOST OR FOUND PET AGENCIES to help you find your pet

To improve the probability that the animal is reunited, call or take the animal to the jurisidiction agency or animal welfare agency that is responsible for handling lost animals in the area where the pet was lost.

If animal is found or lost within the City limits of Auburn

  • Call Auburn Animal Control,Auburn at (253) 288-2121 for animal pickup within City Limits of Auburn or for after-hours service
  • Call Auburn Valley Humane Society, Auburn at (253) 249-7849 to inquire if your lost animal is at the shelter or bring in a found animal during business hours


If animal is found in Federal Way

  • Call Federal Way Animal Control Services at (253)-836-7387


 If animal is found in Algona, Pacific, Bonney Lake, Sumner, Puyallup, Edgewood and Milton

  • Call Metro Animal Services,Puyallup at (253)-299-7387


If animal is found in Des Moines

Call Des Moines Animal Control at (206) 870-6549
If animal is found in Normandy Park

  • Call Normandy Park Animal Control Services at (206) 248-7600


If animal is found in Renton

  • Call Renton Animal Control at (425) 430-7550


If animal is found in Renton or Medina

  • Call Seattle Humane Society at(425) 641-0080 as they house the lost animals for Renton and Medin


If animal is found in unincorporated King County, but not in Auburn, Des Moines, Federal Way, Medina, Normandy Park, Renton, Shoreline, and Lake Forest Park

  • Call Regional Animal Services King County (RASKC),Kent at (206) 296-7387
    If animal is found in Medina & Hunts Point
  • Call Medina Police Department at (425) 233-6420


If animal is found in Bothell, Brier, Kenmore, Lake Forest Park, Mill Creek, Mountlake Terrace, Mukilteo, Shoreline or Woodinville

  • Call PAWS at (425) 787-2500


If animal is found in Federal Way, Tacoma and unincorporated Pierce County

Call Humane Society for Tacoma & Pierce County at (253) 383-2733